I am presently seeking a group enterprise to join.
One way of marking my life in the past is by which significant project was receiving a lion’s share of attention at any given time. There’s usually been one group effort garnering high priority among other commitments. For example, starting a housing co-op (now in its 19th year), or founding a successful nonprofit. I currently feel ready for the next partnership calling me to lend my talents on a substantive basis.
On the two projects cited above, i was in a founder (“source”) role. At this time, i am feeling drawn to a joiner role. It might be a newer enterprise, where i could potentially be an early joiner or “first follower” who supports someone’s idea to flourish and become real. It could be an organization already up and running that’s headed into a growth phase, where i can assist with creating or updating systems needed to scale expansion. Or it may be a well-established and respected organization, seeking to maintain and improve functionality into the future.
Much of my work thus far has been toward creating organizations that are effective, fulfilling, and sustainable. Some gifts and skills i* enjoy sharing in this realm include:
- group facilitation and holding space
- leading trainings
- organizational culture development
- designing systems
- project management
- interpersonal communication skills and conflict resolution
- strategy and roadmapping
- appreciative visioning
- organizing: stuff, people, paper, events, etc.
- writing and editing
- stewarding feedback processes
- maintaining focus on both purpose and details
- following through until the goal is achieved
Aside from work supporting organizational well-being, i have done other things such as raised hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans (for the housing co-op), bike toured hundreds of miles, coded a website in basic HTML in 1996, survived driving a car in New York City, and been knocked down by lightning and lived to tell the tale. From this you may ascertain that i am happy to explore new domains and learn new skills.
Here are my criteria:
- I’m looking to work primarily face-to-face with a team here in the Eugene/Springfield area, commutable by bike.
- The core team i am working with is an extremely important selection factor. I am seeking people whose company i enjoy and have good chemistry with. I envision them as fun, competent, smart, principled, and trustworthy; i imagine they will have complementary and diverse skill sets compared with my own, so that we can accomplish something larger together. I am searching for leadership i respect and feel inspired by.
- I’m looking for an organization with healthy culture and values i can align with. A place of work/life balance that allows flexible scheduling, more focused on results than hours. Ideally an enterprise grounded in “liberated” principles such as: transparency, distributed authority, flexibility (within a clear structure), wholeness, clarity of purpose, shared power, sense and respond, functional roles, and other “future of work” concepts. The organization doesn’t need to have it all figured out, however i want a place with an open attitude toward exploring this paradigm.
- I want the purpose to be something i believe in, something basically good for the world. That could be something ambitious and 100% mission-driven, or simply a product or service that makes people’s lives a little better.
Beyond this list, there are many aspects i am flexible on. The organization could be a business, nonprofit, or some other form. If it’s a start-up, i am willing to consider initially donating some time or working for equity. The range of hours could be 10-30/week (i want to maintain some time for other projects).
If you have ideas, contacts, leads, or any other support to lend in my search, please get in touch! Thank you.